I LOVE Brussell sprouts. I didn’t used to but I rediscovered them a few years ago and now they are a regular item on my menu.
As you can see, I buy them on the stem. I have my kids help me prep and they love them too! My son will always ask why people say they’re yucky. I always say, “maybe they eat some that are not made with love…” 😉
Love comes easy in this house. Picked off the stem, cut in half and in a marinade of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and garlic. Oven-roasted for a few minutes… Yum! And, they are just soooo good for you.
- Only about 10 calories each (uncooked)
- Low in fat and sodium
- High in dietary fiber
- Very high levels of vitamin C (about 3x more than an orange)
- Glucosinolates (some research suggest glucosinolates may help lower blood pressure. Other studies have focused on potential benefits including lower risk of various cancers, such as stomach, colon, esophageal, lung and breast cancers)
- High protein vegetable (accounting for more than a quarter of their calories)
- Good Source ofvitamin D and folic acid (a recommended supplement during pregnancy)