I have decided to bring the New Year in atypical (well typical Angel) fashion. I’m doing a 5 day juice fast.
Why? Most religions use periods of fasting as a means of demonstrating faith or
penitence, and an opportunity for spiritual reflection. Over the years, I’ve experience personal breakthroughs from fasting and prayer and witnessed many others.
One writer says this, “Almost every person I know wants a breakthrough in some area of his
or her life. I am no exception. I need breakthroughs all the time —
it may be a breakthrough in understanding a situation, a breakthrough
answer to a problem, a breakthrough idea, a breakthrough insight, a
breakthrough in financial or material provision, a breakthrough in
health. If you have any need in your life, you need a breakthrough
from God to meet that need! Fasting and prayer break the yoke of
bondage and bring about a release of God’s presence, power, and
There is a bit of a debate about whether or not fasting detoxifies the body and actually has physical benefits. Some in the medical community say no, while others say absolutely. Some sources actually claim fasting as cure for many diseases.
I believe, fasting is both spiritually and physically incredible but it REALLY takes planning to do it properly.
I like to start out physically, mentally and spiritually preparing at least a week away from my fasting start date. I have experienced my best results when I planned out my fast. Especially if I have had to work or tend to the kids. For me, fasting has always been best when I carved out a sufficient ammount of “me time.” There are several types of fasts.
- WATER- Water fasts can be controversial. People will often juice in preparation for a water fast. I have never done a water fast but my mom did them often when I was growing up.
- JUICE- Water, Fruit and Vegetable smothies and juices.
- RAW VEGAN- Water, Fruit and Vegetable smothies and juices. Raw nuts and seeds, vegetables and fruit.
- VEGAN- Water, Fruit and Vegetable smothies and juices. Cooked or raw nuts, seeds, beans, vegetables and fruit.
- OTHER types of fasts could include: Giving up a type of food, such as caffeine, sugar or meat. Giving up one meal & replacing that time with prayer. Fast from sun-up to sundown.
When considering fasting, it’s IMPORTANT to do your home work. The first question you might want to ask is why are you fasting. Set your intention and know your body. Are you generally healthy? Does your doctor say it’s ok for you to fast? What are your eating habits like now? Have you ever fasted before? The answers to some of these questions may help you determine the kind of fast you do.
Finally, understand that the fast you choose is between you and God. Set your time (number of days or hours) and pray through your difficulties but don’t hurt yourself in the process. Spirit will honor your best sacrifice. Check out THESE POSTS if you’re interested in reading more about my fasting experiences.